Hunny and I have been debating leaving or staying here in rainy Utica. Sometimes the grass is greener somewhere else, even with a lot of precipitation in your own town. Neither us is native to Utica, but have found quite a lot to keep us busy and lots of great people here. Things seem to be turning in the direction that we may be wanting to stay for a while …
Great things about living in Utica – in no particular order
- organic farms nearby
- bike-able city
- the Stanley and the Arts scene in general
- 5 college town – no joke
- independent thinkers – never a lack of interesting conversation or debate!
- up and coming / on the verge
- The Boilermaker 15K!!!
- low cost of living
- lots of support for local, small businesses
- Adirondacks 30 minutes away
- friendly people
- Diversity – 11% of Uticans are immigrants and Utica has the fourth highest density of resettled refugees in the U.S.!
Things that could be improved – in no particular order
- The Arts scene
- closing the gap between activists/advocates and the people we are advocating for
- closing the economic gap
- public transportation
- race relations and integration of refugees, esp. with arts community (I think this is a matter of time and people breaking out of old patterns of thought)
- business climate and the conversation around Properity and Abundance
- acceptance and visibility of LGBTQ community
- accountability of government leaders
Please feel free to add on and comment on this list.